Skin discoloration, including both light and darks spots can greatly impact a person's self esteem and quality of life. Different causes of brown spots and discoloration include melasma, sun spots (lentigos) and inflammatory skin disorders (like acne).
- Melasma is a common skin problem where brown, tan, or grey patches appear; usually on the forehead, nose, cheeks and upper lip. It is thought to be related to sun exposure, and may run in families. A hormonal component is also likely, as melasma is more common during pregnancy and in women taking birth control pills.
- Solar lentigos appear on the face, upper chest/back, and the back of the hands from chronic sun exposure.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation refers to the dark spots that remain on the skin after inflammatory disorders, such as acne and trauma to the skin. This brown discoloration of the skin can we further worsened by sun exposure.
There are many simple ways to improve skin discoloration. The treatment that will work best depends on the underlying cause and severity of the discoloration, and the patient skin type and color. Aggressive and consistent sun protection is of utmost importance in treating brown spots on the skin. Avoiding direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., use of a broad-spectrum (blocks both UVA and UBV) sunscreen, and sun protective clothing all reduce ultraviolet light exposure. Treatment options to be used in conjunction with sun protection include topical therapies, chemical peels and microdermabrasion.
Don't let brown spots get you down! We can help restore your beautiful even complexion.
Services We Offer to Treat Skin Discoloration
- Liquid nitrogen cryotherapy
- Topical therapy
- Advanced exfoliation / chemical peels